As Apple releases new iPhone models, previous ones quickly become yesterday’s news. For iPhone 12 owners contemplating an upgrade or simply looking to part ways with their current device, you might be asking one question: “How much is an iPhone 12 worth today?” In this article, we’ll explore the iPhone 12 trade-in value in Canada, the factors influencing its resale price, and the selling options available.
iPhone 12 Key Insights
- The iPhone 12 is a strong contender in the used-phone market because of its relevant features and reliable performance.
- If you want to get the most value out of your iPhone 12, keeping it clean and well-maintained is essential, as the condition significantly impacts its worth.
- Your iPhone 12’s value will depreciate over time, so if you’re considering selling or trading in, the sooner you do it, the better.
How Much is an iPhone 12 Worth?
Since its debut in 2020, the iPhone 12 still holds fair resale value in Canada. If you want to sell your device, the return can range from $232 to $370, depending on the storage capacity and condition. For a convenient way to find out how much your iPhone 12 is worth as a used device, get an instant quote at Mobile Klinik.
Used iPhone 12 Maximum Trade-in Values
* Price updated as of March 2024
The iPhone 12 Market Today
The iPhone 12 captured the world’s attention with a lineup of exciting features. Upon its release, its Super Retina XDR display, powerful A14 Bionic chip, and 5G connectivity promised to redefine the smartphone experience. Fast forward to today, and this model still holds its own in the competitive smartphone market.
With consumers increasingly using their smartphones for everything from streaming movies to editing photos, the iPhone 12’s impressive OLED display is as relevant as ever. Additionally, its A14 Bionic chip offers excellent performance, ensuring the device can handle modern-day demands, like app use and gameplay. This model also can capture stunning photos in various lighting conditions, which remains a significant selling point.
While Apple has made advancements since 2020, the iPhone 12 is an attractive option for those looking for a reliable and feature-rich smartphone. As outlined in the table above, the resale value ranges in the hundreds, which many consider a good return on investment.
Phone Conditions: Explained
As you enter the world of selling your phone, it’s important to understand the criteria determining its condition and its worth. Well-maintained devices are generally more valuable because second-hand buyers look for quality and usability. Here’s the breakdown of the differences in phone conditions:
- Very Good: An iPhone in very good condition means there are few signs of wear and tear, if any. The display is scratch-free, and the device itself functions seamlessly. Generally, the battery is also in excellent shape, with full or close-to-full capacity.
- Good: Devices in this category may have light scuffs or scratches, but these are typically not noticeable. Phones in good condition function well, with all features operating effortlessly. The battery should also be in good condition; however, it may hold less capacity than its original state.
- Acceptable: If your iPhone is classified as acceptable, it has more signs of wear and tear, such as dents, scratches, and other blemishes. Despite the physical imperfections, the device should still function normally. When it comes to the battery, it likely has reduced capacity and health, but this shouldn’t impede on performance.
MSRP of the iPhone 12
The manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) for the iPhone 12 was $1,129 (CAD).
Factors that Affect the Price of a Used iPhone 12
As discussed above, one of the most significant factors that affect how much your iPhone 12 is worth is its condition, ranging from Very Good to Acceptable. Here are some other factors that must be considered when determining its resale price:
- Age and Model: As newer iPhone models are released, older ones tend to decrease in value. The iPhone 12 is still considered relatively new and up-to-date with in-demand features, so it’s a sought-after device.
- Storage Capacity: The iPhone 12 comes in storage capacities of 64, 128, and 256 GB. The general rule of thumb is that devices with more storage sell for higher prices because they offer more space for apps, photos, and videos.
- Unlocked or Carrier-Locked: Locked phones are usually worth less than unlocked ones because they restrict you to a single provider. However, in Canada, the CRTC stopped locked devices and unlocking fees in 2017. This means that since the iPhone 12’s release in 2020, they should not have carrier locks. If, by chance, yours does, you can get it unlocked for free.
- Accessories: Original accessories, like chargers, headphones, and the box, can increase the overall desirability of your iPhone 12. This indicates that it has been well taken care of.
- Market Demand: The demand for a specific iPhone can fluctuate over time. Factors like the release of a new model or the introduction of software updates can affect desirability. As we covered earlier, the iPhone 12 is still considered a good buy in the used market.
Where to Sell a Used iPhone
Now that you know the factors determining your iPhone’s value, your next step is deciding where to sell your used iPhone. There are different options available, including:
- Buy-Back Programs: You can sell your iPhone 12 to reputable retailers, like Mobile Klinik. When you sell your phone to us, we’ll confirm its value based on the factors mentioned above and pay you via store credit or prepaid Visa gift card. Retailer buy-back programs like ours are a hassle-free way of ensuring your device gets into the right hands for the right price.
- Carrier Trade-In: Some carriers may offer trade-in options. For example, if your current contract is ending, you may get the opportunity to upgrade to a new phone. The credit you receive from trading in your iPhone 12 goes toward a renewed plan and upgraded device.
- Personal Connections: Often, one of the best ways to ensure your iPhone 12 ends up in the hands of someone you trust is to turn to your friends, family, and other social connections. Let them know you’re considering selling your device to gauge if anyone is interested.
What Happens to the Price of a Used iPhone Over Time?
The value of a used iPhone depreciates each year, especially with new model releases. Here’s an example to help you understand what this decreased worth can look like year-over-year. Bear in mind that depreciation percentages are not set in stone and can vary each year depending on the model and market.
How Do I Maintain the Value of My iPhone 12?
Preserving the value of your iPhone 12 is a smart financial move that ensures you get the most out of your investment. Whether you plan to sell it in the near future or simply want to extend its lifespan, here are some essential tips to maintain its worth:
- Use a high-quality protective case. This will shield your iPhone 12 from drops or rough handling.
- Use a screen protector. Applying a tempered glass protector on your iPhone’s display helps prevent scratches, cracks, and other screen blemishes. It will keep your device looking pristine.
- Keep your device clean. Regularly clean your iPhone 12, including the screen and ports. Dust and debris can accumulate over time, potentially affecting its appearance and performance. Clean with soft, non-abrasive materials to avoid damaging the device’s surface.
- Update Software. Keep your iPhone 12 up-to-date with the latest iOS software and security updates. Updates improve functionality and ensure compatibility with the latest apps and services.
- Keep an eye on your battery and charging habits. Avoid extreme temperature conditions when charging your device, and don’t let your phone regularly drain before recharging. If you notice decreased capacity, it might be time to replace your battery.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I check the condition of my iPhone 12?
You can check your iPhone’s condition by examining its appearance for scratches, dents, and screen quality. You can also assess its battery health in the settings menu. Additionally, take notes on your device’s performance and functionality.
What should I do before selling my iPhone 12 to protect my data and privacy?
Before selling your phone, start by backing up your data. Then, sign out of your Apple ID and erase all content and settings in the settings menu. This factory reset will wipe all your personal information from your device and prevent it from getting into the wrong hands.
Is it worth selling my iPhone 12?
This depends on various factors, including the current market and the state of your device. Right now, the iPhone 12 is still in demand in the used market, and you may get a good return on your investment. Keep in mind that the older the model gets, the more it will depreciate. So, if you’re considering selling, it’s best to do it as soon as possible.