In a world where technology constantly grows and evolves, our smartphones have become vital companions, offering us access to the digital realm and connectivity to virtually anywhere or anyone across the globe. Apple has long held an important place in the digital space, captivating users with its premium sleek designs, innovative features, and unparalleled user experience. It’s no surprise, then, that even with new phone releases almost every year, older models are still highly sought after. One such model is the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max.
Since their launch in 2018, the iPhone XS and XS Max have earned many devoted fans. But, as time ticks on and new devices, features, and technologies are introduced, it leaves some people wondering: How much is an iPhone XS and XS Max worth for selling or trade-in?
Table of Contents
- The iPhone XS/XS Max Appeal
- Used iPhone XS Maximum Trade-in Values
- Used iPhone XS Max Maximum Trade-in Values
- How Do I Know My Phone’s Condition?
- What was the MSRP of the iPhone XS/XS Max?
- Factors Affecting the Price of a Used iPhone XS/XS Max
- Where to Sell Your Used iPhone XS or XS Max
- How Much Value Does an iPhone Lose?
- How do I Maximize the Resale Value of my iPhone XS/XS Max?
- Frequently Asked Questions
The iPhone XS/XS Max Appeal
While these devices may no longer be Apple’s latest and greatest offerings, they continue to hold significant interest among smartphone enthusiasts. Today, the iPhone XS and XS Max have a unique sense of nostalgia blended with value-consciousness, perfect for those looking for premium experiences on a tighter budget.
Despite the passing of time, several features of these models retain their attractiveness, contributing to a steady ongoing demand. Some of these aspects include:
- Sleek design: The stainless steel frame between two glass panels exudes a premium aesthetic that continues to resonate with users, giving the devices a timeless charm.
- OLED display: While newer models have even more immersive viewing experiences, the OLED display still offers rich colours and visually captivating images, which make for quality experiences when consuming media, playing video games, or browsing.
- Camera: Despite newer lines having more advanced photography technology, the dual camera setup of the iPhone XS series still holds its ground.
Used iPhone XS Maximum Trade-in Values
* Price updated as of September 2023
Used iPhone XS Max Maximum Trade-in Values
* Price updated as of September 2023
How Do I Know My Phone’s Condition?
The iPhone XS and XS Max trade-in value heavily relies on their condition. Smartphones, including these models, are typically classified into Very Good, Good, and Acceptable. Each condition grade affects the potential worth of the device in the market. Let’s take a closer look at the differences between each category:
- Very Good: These iPhones are in “like-new” condition — the display and body remain pristine, and all the functions retain their capabilities. When it comes to how much you can get for an iPhone XS or XS Max in Very Good condition, you will get the highest valuation compared to other grades.
- Good: To be classified in this category, smartphones can’t have any cracks or severe damage. Generally, all functions should be in working order but may show minor signs of use.
- Acceptable: iPhones in this category may have noticeable scratches. Despite cosmetic imperfections, all buttons, ports, and features should operate correctly. However, the battery may have a lower capacity level than a new phone. An iPhone XS or XS Max in this category would have the lowest resale value.
What was the MSRP of the iPhone XS/XS Max?
In Canada, the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) upon release in 2018 for the iPhone XS and XS Max was as follows:
- iPhone XS (64 GB): $1,379 (CAD)
- iPhone XS (256 GB): $1,589 (CAD)
- iPhone XS (512 GB): $1,859 (CAD)
- iPhone XS Max (64 GB): $1,519 (CAD)
- iPhone XS Max (256 GB): $1,729 (CAD)
- iPhone XS Max (512 GB): $1,999 (CAD)
Factors Affecting the Price of a Used iPhone XS/XS Max
Many factors affect how much you can get for an iPhone XS or XS Max. Here are some examples:
1. Storage Capacity
In essence, more storage means a higher resale price. Buyers often want the ability to store more files, photos, videos, and apps. Since the iPhone XS and XS Max value is already significantly less than their MSRPs, many opt for larger storage capacities to accommodate their usage needs.
As discussed earlier, the condition of your iPhone XS or XS Max significantly impacts its trade-in value. Devices in excellent condition, with minimal cosmetic wear and optimal functionality, attract higher offers.
3. Negotiation Power
Negotiation dynamics can influence how much your used iPhone XS or XS Max is worth. For example, if you have many interested buyers, you may have the opportunity to get a higher price. Conversely, if the market isn’t favourable or you just want to get rid of your phone as quickly as possible, you may need to reduce your asking price.
4. Market Demand
Just like any product, demand can fluctuate at any given time. If there is a higher demand for the XS and XS Max models due to their features, design, or specific user preferences, it can drive up resale prices. On the other hand, prices may be more competitive if the market is saturated with available units or if there is lower demand due to newly-introduced models.
Where to Sell Your Used iPhone XS or XS Max
When it comes to selling your used iPhone XS or XS Max, exploring different avenues can help you find the best marketplace for your needs. Consider the following options:
- Retailer Buy-Back Programs: Many reputable retailers have buy-back or trade-in programs for used smartphones, including the iPhone XS and XS Max. These programs provide the convenience of selling your device directly to a trusted source. At Mobile Klinik, we offer a seamless process for you to sell your device: Bring it to us, receive a quote, and get paid — it’s that easy!
- Carriers: Some mobile carriers may take your iPhone back in exchange for credit toward your upgraded model or new plan.
- Online Platforms: Kijiji, Facebook Marketplace, and eBay are just a few online spaces where you can list your iPhone privately and receive offers from buyers locally or globally.
- Friends, Family, and Word of Mouth: You might be able to sell your phone within your personal network. You can tell friends, family, colleagues, or acquaintances about your intention to sell your iPhone XS or XS Max, which may lead to potential buyers.
How Much Value Does an iPhone Lose?
Over four years, an iPhone, on average, depreciates 14.80%. Apple devices generally retain more value year after year than other brands, which may see a 26% depreciation rate on average each year. However, it’s important to note that these figures are general estimates. The actual depreciation rate can vary based on factors such as market trends and the condition of your specific phone. To provide a clearer picture, let’s consider an example showcasing the potential depreciation journey of an iPhone:
|Day 1||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4||Year 5|
In this hypothetical example, this iPhone lost over 60% of its MSRP value from the year of release. It’s essential to keep in mind that the longer you hold onto your device, the less you’ll receive when selling. So, if you’re considering maximizing your iPhone XS or XS Max worth, try selling it as soon as possible and following the steps in the next section.
How do I Maximize the Resale Value of my iPhone XS/XS Max?
If you own an iPhone XS or XS Max and want to preserve its value over time, there are several steps you can take to ensure its longevity and attractiveness in the secondhand market:
- Use a case and screen protector: Investing in a high-quality protective case and a tempered glass screen protector can help safeguard your iPhone from scratches, scuffs, and potential damage from accidental drops, which will increase attractiveness for buyers.
- Regular software updates: Keeping your iPhone up to date with the latest software updates ensures access to new features and enhanced security and demonstrates that the device is well-maintained. Buyers often prefer devices with updated software because it indicates ongoing support and compatibility with the latest apps and services.
- Clean your phone regularly: Cleaning your device with a microfiber cloth can remove debris from the screen and body. Proper maintenance and attention to detail show potential buyers you care for your iPhone.
- Keep original accessories and packaging: Retaining the original accessories that came with your iPhone XS/XS Max, such as the charging cable and earphones, can add value when selling. Additionally, holding onto the original packaging, including the box and documentation, helps create a complete package, which many buyers appreciate.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I unlock my iPhone XS/XS Max before selling it?
Unlocking your iPhone XS/XS Max can increase its appeal to potential buyers because it can be used with multiple carriers. Canada’s Wireless Code prohibited carriers from selling locked devices as of 2017. Since the iPhone XS and XS Max came out in 2018, you likely have an unlocked device. If not, consider going to your carrier to unlock it for free.
When is the best time to sell an iPhone XS or XS Max?
Generally, the best time to sell your used iPhone is just before the release of a new model. The introduction of newer technology and features often creates a shift in market demand, which can result in a decrease in the resale value of older devices. However, the exact impact will depend on various factors, such as the popularity of the new model and the overall condition and desirability of your iPhone XS and XS Max.
Is it worth selling my used phone?
Depending on your needs and values, selling a used phone is often worth it. Here are the benefits:
- Financial return
- Opportunity to upgrade to a new device
- It helps reduce electronic waste
- Can save time and effort when selling through buy-back programs
- Contributes to a circular economy and makes technology more affordable for everyone
At Mobile Klinik, you can sell your phone to us and receive the current trade value on a prepaid Visa card — a convenient and hassle-free way of getting rid of an old device while helping the environment at the same time!